Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Match Point

Majuro is a city of tennis fanatics.

Everywhere you look, you see a tennis court. This was the first thing I noticed on my way to the hotel the night I arrived.

Even my office here has a tennis court. My hotel has one, too. Rafter is one happy boy!

I met the US Ambassador to The Marshall Islands and he, too, is a big tennis aficionado. He’s a pretty cool guy. Really nice. The following day, he lent me one of his rackets.

The Ambassador also invited me to play with him. You never say no to a diplomatic official.

Right after work, I headed straight to the tennis court to practice my serve. Raft3r was rusty. I haven’t played in ages and I didn’t want to look like an idiot in front of the Ambassador.

The Deputy Chief of Mission arrived first with his spouse. While waiting for the Ambassador, we decided to play doubles. I was paired with a local.

After the match, still no sight of the Ambassador. He was a no show.

I smelled fear.

Post script: Raft3r got a chance to play with the Ambassador the following evening. He whooped my sorry ass. Big time.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Big time ka na.. hindi just-just lang ang opponent mo.. hanep!
di ka na ma-reach pagbalik mo dito! dapat talaga manlibre ka pagbalik mo!
-CM

Raft3r said...

CM, Nambobola! Hehe

Big Eyed Gal said...

Naks!! Big time! Rubbing elbows and tuhod ka na with the amba. Kilala mo pa ba ako pare pag uwi mo? Baka di mo na ako pansinin ha. Hahahahaha! Keychain ko!!!!

Raft3r said...

big_eyed_gal, Pwede ba naman yon! Love ko pare ko, eh. Yes, sa Guam kita bilan. Pangit yun d2, e. Hehe

Gorgeous Traveller said...

Cool trivia, for my travel books! Pag meron ako pasahero (Im a travel agent) kunyari meron na ko alam. Haha!

Wendy said...

The title caught my attention. I love Match Point:) Pero tama sila raft3r, big time ka na talaga. Buti you know how to play tennis...At least di ka OP sa Majuro. Hehehe

Raft3r said...

gorgeous traveller, I didn't know you're a travel agent. Interesting. Maybe you can help arrange my next travel. It'll be in June!

wendy, Hehe. Di po ako big time.

Anonymous said...

Naku, bakit kaya?

Payperbiz said...

Saucy! mga diplomats ang nasa circle mo ngayon:)

Raft3r said...

anonymous, Ewan ko. Hehe

sonnet's, Nosebleed ire. Nyahaha