Friday, December 21, 2012

Before Sunset

I fondly call her Chief.

To the rest of the world, she's known as Len. But for Raft3r, she will always be Chief. 

She's an outstanding writer. I have this uneasy feeling that when Chief's reads my posts, she's edits them as well. Scary, huh?

Needless to say, Chief's a pro. No doubt about that.

----------

I am guilty of watching certain films over and over again that I sometimes find myself uttering the dialogues along with the actor. Comfort films I call it.

Recently, I watched Before Sunrise and Before Sunset for the nth time starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy. It’s a story about two strangers whose lives were thrown together after they met on a train in Europe.

“I think when you’re young you just believe that there’ll be many people you’ll connect with. Later in life you’ll realize it only happens a few times,” is one of my favorite lines from the movie.

And so I realized that this one’s quite parallel with blogging and its readers – that we are all strangers who manage to know bits and pieces about one another and somehow feel connected.

I came to know about Raft3r’s The Deadbeat Club when my former office mate Tonetski, who happens to be his grade school friend, begged us to post a comment because Rafter’s incessantly asking her to promote it. Out of pity, I hopped into his blog and there goes the five-year blog affair.

For years, I read The Deadbeat Club and discovered Raft3r’s love for Janet Jackson, his collection of CDs and his current obsession for Blu-ray discs, how he adores his nieces and how they think he looks like Joe Jonas, his sarcasm, his dislike for Miss Starlet, his stand on dating and relationships, his ability to poke fun at himself (hello, butt!) and how he uses movie and song titles as his blog post titles.

And Raft3r is probably the only blogger I know who writes a one-liner and can pass it up as a blog post and still able to elicit a number of comments. He must have confused blogging from tweeting. Peace!

Through The Deadbeat Club, I was also able to discover a few other blogs: how The Scud loves books and films and traveling, how I admire Prinsesa Musang’s manner of writing and how I was able to support her notebook project, Atticus’ insights and Gillboard’s candidness. That though I don’t post comments, I make sure to read each blog when time permits me to.

It’s funny how I may have bumped into these bloggers and not know it’s them yet every time I’m stressed at work I while away by reading their blogs and find comfort in words they have coherently written; that for every blog post they also give a piece of themselves.

So if I have what I call comfort films, I also do have comfort blogs and The Deadbeat Club is one of those.

The thing is that Raft3r told me to write anything that is close to my heart so I thought of using this to tell him to keep on blogging but if I can’t persuade him maybe he should just go throw us a party for being loyal readers. Who’s with me?

Len

33 comments:

Raft3r said...

len, Chief! Those are two of my fave movies, as well!

atticus said...

ayan, magpa-party ka raw para sa amin kung isasara mo ang blog mo. huwag kang dedma. i'll spread the word.

Anonymous said...

comfort blog? pati sa blog nakakataba ka denoy :D

Raft3r said...

atticus, Party at your place. Hehe

prinsesamusang, Comfort blog nga! Hehe

atticus said...

kulit, nakuha mo na ang email ko via fb?

amp na verification code: hepayme. amp!

Raft3r said...

atticus, Aba. Sige. I'll check it now. Thanks! Hehe

gillboard said...

I agree with chief, kelangan mo magpaparty.

this is my favorite guest writer of yours. Hehehe

merry christmas!!!

Raft3r said...

gillboard, Fave agad? Antayin mo muna matapos ang lahat. Baka magsisi ka. Hehe

Anonymous said...

Party!

Raft3r said...

anonymous, Ok! Hehe

Archieviner VersionX said...

Magpaparty kana ser :P

Raft3r said...

archieviner, Hindi siguro. Mahirap ang buhay! Nyahaha

len said...

Rafter, thank you for th nice intro. Natawa ako sa third paragraph. Haha

Good to know may kasama ako na may gusto sa movies na iyan. I'm being mocked by my officemates particularly Hoshi dahil sa movies na iyan. :)

len said...

Gillboard, friends na tayo. Ang bilis mo mag-return ng favor. Apir! :)

Raft3r said...

len, Those movies are awesome! They speak to me. Hehe

Oman said...

lezgo hehe. anyways, happiest of holidays dude :)

Raft3r said...

oman, Happy Holidays din sayo! Hehe

atticus said...

mamili ka: magpapa-party ka, o iwi-wish ko na mapikot ka sa 2013.

Raft3r said...

atticus, Ah. Eh. Ano ba ang lesser evil sa dalawa? Hehe

Wendy said...

Great post. Invite mo ko sa party. Hahaha.

Raft3r said...

wendy, Op kors. Kung meron. Hehe

len said...

Rafter, lahat na nagsasabi. Party! Don't disappoint us. haha

len said...

Wendy, salamat. Yay! :)

len said...

Rafter! Ito dapat ia-add ko. :))) A privilege. haha http://malibay.blogspot.com/2009/09/all-i-want-for-christmas-is-you.html

Raft3r said...

len, Kaw na ang promotor! Nyahaha

len said...

Kaya wag mo ako ipahiya. Hear our noise! Nyahaha

Raft3r said...

len, Nyahaha. Wala naman clamor, eh. Puro hype lang. Hehe

Anonymous said...

nice post! sama ako sa party.

Raft3r said...

msbolin, Hayaan mo. Si Chief ang bahala sa party nayan. Nyahaha

eden said...

Yes, ikaw lang din ang blogger na alam ko who writes one line..

Raft3r said...

eden, A good way to remember me by! Hehe

hoshi said...

ayoko sana mag-comment dito pero dahil buburahin mo na itong blog ito. eddie go.

oo chief at denoy, ayoko ng movie na yan kahit naging crush ko si ethan sa reality bites. dapat dito ginawa na lang audiobook. thankful ako hindi ko pinanood sa sine ito. hehehe

tama ka sa sinabi mo kay Chief, nag-e-edit siya. pag kausap ko nga siya in person para siyang red ball pen na mamarkahan ako.

at ang tawag mo sa kanya ay "magiging ganap ng tunay!"

Raft3r said...

hoshi, Nyahaha. Ayos king ganon! Hehe